Valley View Village, Ohio, USA

Valley View is a village in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, United States. The population was 2,179 at the 2000 census. It is a suburb of Cleveland with a town council form of government. It is part of a school district also including nearby Cuyahoga Heights and Brooklyn Heights. Its name refers to the Cuyahoga river valley, and the town includes part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the Ohio and Erie Canal. It is home to the Valley View Bridge that is on I-480 and crosses the Cuyahoga River. The bridge is one of the major points that locals refer to as where the east side meets the west side of Cleveland. Valley View was incorporated as a village in 1919.

Valley View History

Valley View, originally part of Independence Twp., is a small village formed in 1919, located 7 mi. south of downtown Cleveland along the OHIO AND ERIE CANAL in the Cuyahoga River Valley. It is 7 mi. long and 1.5 mi. wide and is bounded by GARFIELD HEIGHTS and WALTON HILLS on the east and INDEPENDENCE on the west. In the early 19th century, the area prospered as an agricultural community (see AGRICULTURE). Residents contracted to construct and maintain the Ohio & Erie Canal. The opening of the canal's Akron-Cleveland section on 4 July 1827 began a new era of transportation: local farmers and tradesmen found cash markets for their crops and services.

Valley View formed from the township of South Newburgh (which had previously split off from Independence Twp.). It adopted the mayor-council form of government and has maintained its own police and fire departments since 1937. Valley View's modern growth began in the 1950s, with businesses such as GRAY DRUG STORES, INC., Big 4 Lumber, and the Norton Construction Co. In 1974 a large portion of the village south of Rockside Rd. and east along TINKER'S CREEK Rd. was incorporated into the new CUYAHOGA VALLEY NATIONAL RECREATION AREA. In 1995 the Valley View schools were part of the Cuyahoga Hts. School System. The population of the village in 1980 was 1,550. It rose to 2,137 in 1990 and 2,179 in 2000. For more information on Valley View Click Here 

CHANGE OVER TIME: If you look at old photos of Valley View either on this web site or other web sites, or along the Canal Tow Path Trail, you notice that Valley View had it's own unique character as a farming community with large open crop fields, pasture lands on the slopes and hills for live stock, and great views of the topography of the valley. Every intersection along canal road had a local gas station, local store, or farm market.

  Today, since the Cuyahoga Valley National Park took over the area south of Rockside road, the Valley has turned into a forest of trees, with limited views, and empty intersections. Gone are the Cloverleaf Speedway and the Cloverleaf Drive-in. Gone is Cub Cary's Farm, Welcher's Farm, and Foot's Sod Farm.  Gone is Frank's Farm Market, Wiese's and Bahle's Gas Stations and the Corner Store. Gone are the Valley Inn and the Old Boat House. Click on the Gallery Tab at the top of the page and look at how the valley has changed over time.